How to use "but" in sentences with meaning in English and Hindi
Example sentences for "but" in popular movie and book plots
- De Vries kills Yueh but he also dies with Leto in the assassination attempt; however Harkonnen survives. - Vladimir Harkonnen
- His father took him to find assistance at Marbule, but Serge's boat blew off course due to a raging magnetic storm caused by Schala. - Chrono Cross
- The General was supposed to bring his niece, Bertha Rheinfeldt, to visit the two, but the niece suddenly died under mysterious circumstances. - Carmilla
- The Rabbi gives Lucilla sanctuary, but to save his organization he must deliver her to the Matres. - Chapterhouse: Dune
- Chivalrous but mired in regret, Frog dedicates his life to protecting Leene, the queen of Guardia, and avenging Cyrus. - Chrono Trigger
- He approaches Kane's second wife, Susan Alexander Kane, now an alcoholic who runs her own nightclub, but she refuses to talk to him. - Citizen Kane
- Falling through several canopies, Kyle miraculously survives but lies unconscious in an alley. - Batman Returns
- In the ensuing shootout, Napier kills Eckhardt, but Batman suddenly appears and, in a struggle, Napier is knocked into a vat of chemicals. - Batman (1989 film)
- She initially rebukes his claims, but is convinced that he is right when he is able to describe a recurring dream of hers in detail. - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (film)
- Deckard initially refuses, but after Bryant ambiguously threatens him, he reluctantly agrees. - Blade Runner
- Surprised but game, Senex instructs Philia to wait in the house for him, and she does. - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
- Cora arrives on the scene with the Cookie Jar's manager, dr Detmold, but he says that Fay has taken the records to identify the inmates. - Anyone Can Whistle
- The book does not focus on heroic stories of bravery, but rather gives a view of the conditions in which the soldiers find themselves. - All Quiet on the Western Front
- The Blight assumes that it is no threat, but later realizes that it is actually carrying away a "countermeasure" against it. - A Fire Upon the Deep
- They both approach fellow doctors and town authorities about their theory but are eventually dismissed on the basis of one death. - The Plague
- The Seven Commandments are abridged to a single phrase: "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others". - Animal Farm
Meaning of "but" in English
Can you explain the meaning of "but" in simple English? Help us by submitting your answer as comments.
Meaning of "but" in Hindi
Do you know the Hindi meaning for "but"? Let us know by posting a comment and earn good karma.
Discuss anything about the word but below. Improve your vocabulary. Ask experts and help others learn new words. Prepare for exams like GRE, CAT, GMAT, Bank PO, GATE, SAT and others. Learn English as a second language.