How to use "contrary" in sentences with meaning in English and Hindi
Example sentences for "contrary" in popular movie and book plots
- She cannot say why the windows of the room were locked and bolted contrary to custom. - Poirot's Early Cases
- Demetrio's agents, however, reveal that they were planning on killing Ross from the start, contrary to their deal. - Armitage III
- He had received the letter notifying him of the win on the morning of the day of the murder, contrary to what he told Enderby. - The Sittaford Mystery
- Little the Doctor can say to the contrary seems to have any sway, and he departs angrily. - The Reign of Terror (Doctor Who)
- Bridget then notes that "nice boys don't kiss like that", to which Mark, contrary to his uptight nature, retorts "Oh yes they fucking do". - Bridget Jones's Diary (film)
- Johnny is eager for the luck of redhead Nellie to win more money, contrary to Frankie's expressed wishes. - Frankie and Johnny (1966 film)
- Gig proceeded to reveal that, contrary to Tezla's claim, Tezla had been the one stealing technology from the Silencerz, including Gig himself. - Hot Wheels AcceleRacers
- Six weeks of contrary winds keep them in the English Channel, long enough for the landsman to be used to the sea. - The Golden Ocean
- The next morning, the squad finds itself slowly advancing through a dense mist which, contrary to their fear, is not a poison gas. - Deathwatch (2002 film)
- That man turns out to be the god Plutus — who is, contrary to all expectations, a blind beggar. - Plutus (play)
- Kirk rejoins that it just acted contrary to its purpose by killing people. - The Ultimate Computer
- Despite his predictions to the contrary Ross struggles to regain his baseball form. - Mr. 3000
- While Leonid is recovering, he finds out, contrary to his original assumption, that Netti is female. - Red Star (novel)
- He met with Richard, a young German Communist cell leader who had distributed material contrary to the Party line. - Darkness at Noon
- Breen explains his plans for further conquest of humanity by the Combine, contrary to what he had told Mossman. - Half-Life 2
- Judy wants to quit almost immediately, and is astonished to learn that she cannot, contrary to the assertions of her recruiting sergeant. - Private Benjamin (1980 film)
Meaning of "contrary" in English
Can you explain the meaning of "contrary" in simple English? Help us by submitting your answer as comments.
Meaning of "contrary" in Hindi
Do you know the Hindi meaning for "contrary"? Let us know by posting a comment and earn good karma.
Discuss anything about the word contrary below. Improve your vocabulary. Ask experts and help others learn new words. Prepare for exams like GRE, CAT, GMAT, Bank PO, GATE, SAT and others. Learn English as a second language.