How to use "dismal" in sentences with meaning in English and Hindi
Example sentences for "dismal" in popular movie and book plots
- Jan learns of Michael's dismal finances by phone, and immediately harangues Michael about being irresponsible. - Money (The Office)
- Some people, including Theo's brother Dimitrios, commit suicide after becoming depressed by visions of their own dismal futures. - Flashforward (novel)
- Jenna longs to run away from her dismal marriage and is slowly accumulating money to do so. - Waitress (film)
- After battling dismal weather, boredom, indoor birdwatching and failed attempts at relaxation, the team decide to stage 'a musical evening'. - Holiday (The Goodies)
- After Nellie's father dies, she and her little sisters Bridget and Jennie are sent to a dismal orphanage run by a thieving matron. - Samantha: An American Girl Holiday
- Buddy is extremely disappointed, having received the rather dismal gifts of old hand-me-downs and a subscription to a religious magazine. - A Christmas Memory
- Despite a dismal night, the narrator looks up to the sky and views a solitary star. - The Dream of a Ridiculous Man
- George looks dismal at the prospect. - The Engagement (Seinfeld)
- For the first-mentioned group, life is dismal even within the privileged "Moscow Republic". - Moscow 2042
- In the penitentiary, Burke is forced to survive in a dismal and dangerous environment. - Death Warrant (film)
- They are brought to a dismal Mexican holding cell where they discover Blevins is also in custody. - All the Pretty Horses (novel)
- The novel opens in a dismal future America, the “Communal North American Citizen's Republic. - Galactic Pot-Healer
- The story is set in the fictional city of Rummidge, a grey and dismal fictional Birmingham. - Nice Work
- Most of the guests seek shelter in the basement, where Wirt declares his love for Letty and offers to take her away from the dismal place. - The Wind (1928 film)
- The alien mind of Solaris is so greatly different from the human mind that attempts at inter-species communications are a dismal failure. - Solaris (novel)
- Rosemary, having avoided Gordon for some time, suddenly comes to visit him one day at his dismal lodgings. - Keep the Aspidistra Flying
Meaning of "dismal" in English
Can you explain the meaning of "dismal" in simple English? Help us by submitting your answer as comments.
Meaning of "dismal" in Hindi
Do you know the Hindi meaning for "dismal"? Let us know by posting a comment and earn good karma.
Discuss anything about the word dismal below. Improve your vocabulary. Ask experts and help others learn new words. Prepare for exams like GRE, CAT, GMAT, Bank PO, GATE, SAT and others. Learn English as a second language.